Let’s face it, you may not hear from the property manager of your rental every day, but you already know in your heart if they are a top performer… or maybe they are just ticking boxes for you.
Just to be sure though, I invite you to go through the telltale signs of the top performers below! Please read each of the 10 statements I have included, whilst making a mental note how your property manager compares!
1. My property manager responds to my emails or texts on the same day…. OK sometimes the morning after, if I tried to contact them late on the day!
2. I call my property manager on the phone and they either answer immediately, or if I have to leave a message, I know they will respond as soon as they hear it!
3. My monthly and end of financial year statements have never had any mistakes or omissions.
4. My Property Manager has empathy when they call me to discuss issues with my property. In actual fact, I get the sense that they care that I have to fork out money (I wasn’t planning on) and they sound as if they are working hard to find ways to minimise my pain!
5. They clearly seem to care to keep my tenants happy! For example, when a tenant reports an issue, they jump on it! I don’t particularly like it (see previous point about me forking out money) but they calmly explain to me that I need to look after my tenants because – in their own words – “happy tenants will keep my property in excellent condition, will always pay my rent on time and they will most likely stay in my property for a long time”! All of a sudden I don’t feel that bad anymore!
6. I always know what to expect. I am clear on my fee schedule and the services I receive. I am clear on whether my rent is appropriate. Inspections are done regularly and I can see photos from my property. I also understand my responsibilities as an landlord, I know why I am paying for my smoke alarm compliance, and I know what is happening when my property is vacant (and I am anxiously waiting to hear that a tenant has been found!). Hey, I have access to my owners portal where I can find everything I need about my property!
7. My Property Manager has minimal staff turnover and everyone seems happy to work there.
8. My Property Manager actually makes time to communicate with me. In fact they over communicate which I don’t mind if it keeps them happy! They also don’t mind using texts, emails, or WhatsApp, Facebook messaging as, given how busy I am, I prefer those channels of communication! They also always seem to be relaxed when I talk to them, they are never rushed for time, and their phone does not constantly ring when I try to speak to them.
9. My Property Manager always seem to attract good tenants who stay in my property for a long time. In actual fact, whilst I hear from my friends and the media about all those tenant stories, I haven’t had any!
10. Last but not least, I can confidently say that my Property Manager has MY best interests at heart and I trust them when they provide advice!
If the above are true for your property manager, CONGRATULATIONS! They are amazing and you are very lucky to have them!
If on the other hand they are not, our suggestion to you is to look at alternatives today!
Don’t just settle thinking that it is too hard to do something about it. All it takes to swap your property manager is ONE email. There are plenty of agencies out there, hungry for your business that will provide you with the service you deserve for your hard earned money.
Who we are:
NextGen Property Mgmt (www.nextgenpm.com.au) is a boutique Real Estate licensed agency that specialises in property management. NextGen Property Mgmt does NOT has a sales team unlike most other agencies that specialise in Sales and have Property Management as a side business.
Our area of focus is residential property and we operate in Inner and South West Sydney, as well as St George.
NextGen was created from its infancy to cater for investors as it was founded by investors who quickly realised that in a highly regulated industry like Real Estate – competence, expertise, care and service by property managers varies greatly.
As an investor, you need to have trust for and feel valued by your property manager. You need to know that your property is being looked after with minimal disruption and you are getting maximum return for your investment. At NextGen we understand that because we are investors living busy lives ourselves, so our promise to you is that you will no longer have to worry about your most valued asset because we will make sure to take care of it as if it is our own.
If you want to learn more about us just click here to organise a time for a chat. Or call us on 0414 494 840. We would love to hear from you and to share our story.